World Cup Final 1998 - France v Brazil
The 1998 World Cup Final in Paris will be remembered for two things the brilliance of Zidane and what ever happened to Ronaldo before the game. There is only one person who knows exactly what happened to Ronaldo in the hours before the 1998 World Cup final and that is Ronaldo himself.
The Brazilian goal scoring ace was part of one of the most bizarre mysteries in World Cup history when his name was left off the starting eleven, only to reappear just in time for kick-off. Ronaldo was off colour for the whole game and the Brazil team just did not turn up for this match and Zinedine Zidane took full advantage in a one-sided match which saw France crowned world champions for the first time.
The game itself did not live up to its dramatic prelude, Zidane rising twice above the Brazilian defence to give France a 2-0 lead before half-time.
Brazil tried in vain to stage a recovery after Marcel Desailly was sent off for France on 68 minutes, and Emmanuel Petit's last-minute goal sparked wild celebrations on the Champs Elysees. It was initially reported that Ronaldo had been struggling with an ankle injury, then that he had an upset stomach.
- Villarreal v Atletico Madrid Odds Back Diego Simeones men to strengthen their position in the top3
- Juventus v Fiorentina Odds Tevez can fire the Bianconeri closer to the Scudetto in Turin
- Back another strong first half showing from Mourinhos men during Leicester v Chelsea
- Real Madrid v Almeria Odds Javier Hernandez tipped to continue fine form in front of goal
- Athletic Bilbao v Real Sociedad Odds Back Aritz Aduriz to get his name on the scoresheet at the San Mames
- Barcelona v Getafe Odds Neymar can fire hosts five points clear
- Bayern Munich v Dortmund Odds Guardiolas men firm favourites for German Cup semi final
- Newcastle clipped in the betting for relegation following yet another defeat