World Cup Final 1998 - France v Brazil
The 1998 World Cup Final in Paris will be remembered for two things the brilliance of Zidane and what ever happened to Ronaldo before the game. There is only one person who knows exactly what happened to Ronaldo in the hours before the 1998 World Cup final and that is Ronaldo himself.
The Brazilian goal scoring ace was part of one of the most bizarre mysteries in World Cup history when his name was left off the starting eleven, only to reappear just in time for kick-off. Ronaldo was off colour for the whole game and the Brazil team just did not turn up for this match and Zinedine Zidane took full advantage in a one-sided match which saw France crowned world champions for the first time.
The game itself did not live up to its dramatic prelude, Zidane rising twice above the Brazilian defence to give France a 2-0 lead before half-time.
Brazil tried in vain to stage a recovery after Marcel Desailly was sent off for France on 68 minutes, and Emmanuel Petit's last-minute goal sparked wild celebrations on the Champs Elysees. It was initially reported that Ronaldo had been struggling with an ankle injury, then that he had an upset stomach.
- Celtic v Dinamo Zagreb Odds The draw looks a tempting bet for Europa League clash
- Tottenham v Besiktas Hosts tipped to edge out the Black Eagles
- Slovan Bratislava v Napoli Odds Italian side tipped to win Group I encounter
- Kuban v Everton Odds The match betting points towards a draw in Russia
- Basel v Liverpool Odds Reds start favourites despite woeful start to the season
- Zenit v Monaco Odds Russian side can secure a valuable Group C win on home soil
- Barcelona Juventus and Benfica star in our Champions League best bets
- Arsenal v Galatasaray Odds Back the Gunners to win and both teams to score at The Emirates